This month’s Forever Nigella theme is Ciao Italia. Nigella has made many Italian recipes over the years so they are many to choose from. I searched on Nigella’s website trying to find the perfect Italian recipe I could recreate however I wanted to do something a bit different. I moved my search onto the BBC Food website and found this recipe, Small Pasta with Salami made with her store cupboard ingredients. My store cupboard ingredients are slightly different to Nigella’s so I made my version of the dish below with things leftover in my kitchen. Overall, I think it went very well and I will be making it again soon.
Jo’s Fusilli with Chorizo and Peas
Ingredients (serves 1 hungry person!)
- 100g Fusilli, cooked according to the packet instructions
- 6-8 Chorizo slice, cut into smaller bits
- 2 inch piece of chorizo sausage, cut into 1cm rounds
- Half an onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- Handful of frozen peas
- Small bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Parmesan cheese, to grate on top (optional)
- Put the olive oil in a frying pan and add the chopped up chorizo slices and rings. Fry for a couple of minutes until the oil has seeped out of the chorizo.
- Add in the onions, garlic and salt and fry for a few minutes until softened.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and allow the sauce to simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the peas and allow to cook for a minute. Then turn off the heat, add in the parsley and stir.
- Serve in a big bowl with the cooked pasta with big grating of Parmesan cheese on top. Enjoy with a glass of red wine!
Happy Cooking! :-)